Tuesday, March 04, 2008

In Great Company

God calls us to do huge things. He calls us to attempt the impossible. That's a fact. I'm realizing that now more than ever. Staring Vintage Church is the "hugest" thing he's ever given me to do. It is the most overwhelming thing I've ever experienced. In a matter of six months Ashley and I abandoned everything we knew to move to a different city, in a different state, to attempt a different task. This calling overwhelms me to tears some days.

I was reminded today that I'm not the only one whose calling has overwhelmed him.

Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. Then he said to them, "My soul is OVERWHELMED with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me. Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." Matthew 26:36-39

The calling Jesus had been given by his Father overwhelmed him as well. The enormity of what he was about to do suddenly rushed over him and became painfully real. The thing that separates (one of many things of course) Jesus from so many others? He stayed the course. He didn't let his fear lead to disobedience.

When God calls you to something huge, be prepared to be overwhelmed. Remember, when you feel that way you're in great company. Don't let those feelings keep you from following through. Stay the course. I'm going to!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you dude. I believe that everyone is called to something bigger than themselves. It may be church planting, it may becoming a doctor, missionary, teacher, youth pastor, underwater basket weaver, etc. God calls people to do big things. He wants us all to impact this work in a positive way with the love of Jesus Christ. Stay focus. Stay teachable. Keep praying. God is going to boom in G-boro!!!

Anonymous said...

Keep looking forward! God does have big plans for you two, but I know He will also give you the wisdom to carry them out! In Christ, Di